Sustainable Housing – Rydens Way
‘Vantage’ is a development of over forty new 2, 3 & 4 bedroom houses and 1 & 2 bedroom apartments at Rydens Way, Old Woking, Surrey. The development provides a mix of both affordable housing for rent and freehold housing placed on the open market for sale.
The scheme was commissioned by Thameswey Developments Ltd for Thameswey Housing and built by local housebuilder William Lacey Group. Vantage is a development of properties ranging from 1 and 2 bedroom apartments to 2, 3 and 4 bedroom houses that combine traditional architectural styles with high standards of sustainable design.
The development is built to the Code for Sustainable Homes Levels 3 and 4 and has achieved very high standards of energy and water efficiency.
The project sought to make best use of a difficult linear site whilst also delivering improvements in access for existing residents. This was achieved through the creation of ‘home zones’ which combine new car parking, safer access for buses and new planting.
The houses were built using ICF (insulated concrete formwork) to achieve very high standards of insulation. Internally, the properties are bright and airy, with high quality modern finishes. The properties are rendered or clad with attractive brick elevations with stone cills under grey tile roofs, set against either brick walls or landscaped gardens. Garden sheds, water butts, rotary washing lines and compost containers are provided, enclosed by close board fencing and/or brick walls. The properties also have off street parking within the home zones.
Sustainable building design has been practised through the construction of these new homes, ensuring that where ever possible the properties have a positive effect on their environment and their inhabitants, aiming to provide all the benefits of an ‘eco-house’ without intruding on the traditional approach to family home design. Energy efficient features include:
• Photovoltaic (PV) solar slates positioned on the roof, which seamlessly integrate into the roof finish, generating electrical energy from the sun
• Extremely high levels of insulation and air tightness built into the whole building fabric
• Double glazed PVCU framed windows
• Rainwater harvesting recycling water for use in the toilets and washing machines
• High efficiency gas fired condensing boilers with radiators
• Thermostatic controls for individual rooms
• Heat Recovery Ventilation Systems